Sometimes You Feel Like A Nut
Friday, December 18, 2009 | Author: eventer79
Friday Fun Fact!

In Indonesia, the veined octopus has recently been discovered collecting coconut hulls and assembling them into underwater shelters. Octopuses (because it's more fun to say then "octopi") have long been known for their incredible intelligence, including differentiating shapes, colours, playing, and learning by observation, but this level of tool use is a first, not only for this group but the entirety of the diversity of invertebrate fauna.

All I'm saying is, when you've finished that pina colada on a serene Indonesian beach, do an octo-friend a favour and hurl it into the surf!

"I've got a love-ly bunch of coconuts..."


Now you see me, now you...snap!
This entry was posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

5 comments:

On December 19, 2009 at 12:04 AM , Frizzle said...

"...Deedle-dee, there they are a-standing in a row (doo, doo, doo). Big ones, small ones, some as big as your head!"
Lol. Those are some smart Cephalopods! (Do I get a second Zoology Nerd Award?)

 
On December 19, 2009 at 7:13 PM , eventer79 said...

Dang, now I have a new challenge to find a fact about animals in a family you can't guess...

 
On December 20, 2009 at 1:25 PM , Frizzle said...

I assure you, there is no guessing involved! I totally got an A in Zoology (despite the worst professor ever).
The class was a bit of a dissapointment, though -- I thought I would be petting baby giraffes. Instead, I learned way more than anyone would want to know about worms.

 
On December 20, 2009 at 1:27 PM , eventer79 said...

Ah yes, sorry, petting baby giraffes does not come until, like, postdoc work. At least in mammology you get to stuff squirrels, that is sort of like petting...

 
On December 20, 2009 at 3:36 PM , lifeshighway said...

argh.... I have no octopus love.