Think Formal
Wednesday, January 20, 2010 | Author: eventer79
Put on that tux! It's National Penguin Awareness Day! No, really, it is, I swear. Have no idea what to do to celebrate? Don't worry, eHow never leaves a person hanging, even in the most uncertain of social situations. And 123greetings.com has ALL your NPAD greeting card needs covered! Whew, I know, feel the relief, right?

So why are penguins so kickass that they garner their own holiday?? Well --

They can swim in Antarctic waters (enough said, right??)!
Some species spend as much as 75% of their lives at sea.
They have as many as 70 feathers per square inch to insulate them underwater.
Some species can go from 0 to 16 mph in less than a second when leaping into the water.
They can hold their breath for as long as 15-20 minutes.
Penguins have been around for 60 million years.
They can dive as deep as 1800 feet.


What I want to know is, why don't I get the day off for this important holiday?? My penguin heritage is deeply offended.
This entry was posted on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

5 comments:

On January 20, 2010 at 2:41 PM , lifeshighway said...

Hey, peguins are a personal family favorite. I want this day off too!

Why did you leave out their cuteness factor, tsk biologists.

 
On January 20, 2010 at 3:07 PM , Frizzle said...

Ooooo, I heart penguins! Go toss back some krill and shimp in honor of your penguin heritage.

 
On January 20, 2010 at 4:09 PM , eventer79 said...

Aw, sorry, I felt the cuteness spoke for itself!

 
On January 21, 2010 at 12:20 AM , Once Upon an Equine said...

This is weird. I wore a black & white (sorta tuxedo looking) shirt to work today, and I didn't even know it was NPAD. I must have a psychic connection to penguins. I told my husband about it and he added that yesterday was national popcorn day. So what might tomorrow be?

 
On January 21, 2010 at 4:24 PM , eventer79 said...

In your heart, you already knew the penguins were special!