A Treehouse For Height-O-Phobes
Thursday, November 05, 2009 | Author: eventer79
I always wanted a treehouse. My very own little den nestled in the branches of a backyard sugar maple, where I could sequester myself next to wrens and squirrels and leaves and breezes. On the other hand, I have always been afraid of heights -- I would climb trees, but only the really easy ones with nice big stout branches and plenty of wide forks in which to sit. I was forever caught between my desire to reside in a cave of wood and air and light and my aversion to being suspended above the ground.

Well, I am caught no more!

A Wisconsin architect has been building stunningly beautiful houses out of whole trees. While he does still kill some trees, he uses smaller trees than are conventionally logged, opening up spaces in the forest for understory plants to flourish, and he also uses a lot of deadfall wood. The whole trees are stronger than cut lumber as well as cheaper to use (no sawmill required!). As a bonus, by not cutting into the tree, the carbon sequestered in the wood is kept in, instead of released by the lumbering process.

In the end, of course, you also get a home that is not only beautiful, but unique, strong, and full of character and natural grace, as well as the knowledge that you have used a process that is better for the forest, better for the atmosphere, and better for you. This kind of innovative thinking and creative engineering is what is going to change us for the better and it's what we need a lot more of!

Where can I send my order?


This entry was posted on Thursday, November 05, 2009 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 comments:

On November 5, 2009 at 7:29 PM , lifeshighway said...

and enormously expensive.

 
On November 5, 2009 at 7:59 PM , Once Upon an Equine said...

Wow! That would be fabulous. My parrots would love it.

 
On November 5, 2009 at 8:24 PM , eventer79 said...

Actually construction costs are low, about $100 per square foot.

 
On November 6, 2009 at 12:19 AM , Frizzle said...

*gasp* Pretty! Sign me up. :-)
I didn't even have a treehouse as a child, only a GIANT hole that my bro and I dug in the backyard in the hopes that our parents would make it into a hot-tub. When they didn't go for that, we turned it into a fort.

 
On November 6, 2009 at 9:05 AM , eventer79 said...

Mental image of Frizz in a giant hole in the yard = priceless. ROFLMAO!

 
On November 7, 2009 at 12:08 AM , Frizzle said...

Lol, we were total little Wilderness Children -- we lived in upstate Massachussettes, surrounded by forests and rivers and boulders. I had poison ivy every year. Oh, and that hole ROCKED! Well, actually, I'm still kinda bitter that the 'rents wouldn't turn it into a hot-tub, but it was a really cool fort.