Picture Perfect
Sunday, May 17, 2009 | Author: eventer79
I suppose I'm a cliche but I love spring because THINGS BLOOM. And I'm a bloom addict. It's like discovering treasure every time I see a new flower emerge from its tightly curled bud. I've also been working hard to put as many blooming NATIVE things in my yard as I can afford (and as will survive...). Sadly, especially in the big box stores like Lowe's and Home Depot, native plants can be hard to come by and they seem to have no qualms about STILL selling highly invasive plants like privet and English ivy, both of which are heavily documented taking over native forests and strangling plants that provide important habitat and food for wildlife. Why it is still even legal to sell them I have no idea. Especially when there are so many beautiful native options! Want a hedge? In my region, wax myrtles are cheap, insanely fast growing, hardy, and attractive. Like most native plants, they require less water and attention than exotics, which means you get to spend more time admiring your garden and less time cursing at weeds and maintaining it. I don't know about you, but I'm SO into the admiring and so NOT into the maintenance. It takes a little initial hunting, but google your local native plant society and you can find nurseries which sell native plants. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the riches there! Without further ado, I wanted to share some photos I've taken of what blooms in my yard to give you a taste of these gems.

Top: Foxglove on a rainy day.
Middle and Bottom: Native wisteria (different from the Asian kind you commonly see growing wild)
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Butterfly daffodills
Photobucket

Top: Forsythia
Bottom: Purple phlox
Photobucket Photobucket

Crocuses -- the first to bloom signaling winter's end
Photobucket

Top: My favourite -- lily of the valley
Bottom: Wild coreopsis
Photobucket Photobucket

Verbena and the giant bumblebee moths that love them
Photobucket

Top: Fuschias (ok, I actually don't think this is native, but it was contained in a hanging basket and it is not invasive*)
Middle and Bottom: Another that I LOVE -- lantana
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Day lilies
Photobucket

And my little mistake -- I thought this one was a native magnolia when I bought it. Sadly, it has turned out to be a Japanese magnolia, much to my chagrin. Like the fuschias though, they are not invasive* and it made a cool picture.
Photobucket

*Exotic = "ain't from around here"
Invasive = "ain't from around here and kills/crowds out the important stuff that IS from around here"
This entry was posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

5 comments:

On May 18, 2009 at 7:00 AM , Clair said...

-sniff- I'm going to go eat lots of chocolate now...

 
On May 18, 2009 at 8:29 AM , eventer79 said...

It's ok, I will save some for when you come see us so you can remember what green happy things look like!

 
On May 18, 2009 at 11:26 AM , lifeshighway said...

Beautiful photography and I learned that exotic species can be contained in hanging baskets... probably due to the dying hanging plant factor.

 
On May 18, 2009 at 2:38 PM , eventer79 said...

At least at my house, living in a hanging basket means certain death, so no risk there.

 
On May 18, 2009 at 2:38 PM , eventer79 said...

(and thank you!)