I CAN Take The Heat But That Doesn't Mean I Want To
Thursday, June 18, 2009 | Author: eventer79
Too much rain to do field work. Rivers and streams are turbid from sediment-laden runoff, the colour of chocolate milk. Pointless to go out in these conditions -- you couldn't see a fish if it was an inch away from you. But at least too much rain is good for the animals. Groundwater levels come up, streams are full, vegetation takes off, ditches flush energy in the form of nutritious bits of leaves and sticks into river channels. Bugs go crazy gorging themselves on this new bonanza. Fish go crazy gorging on bugs distracted by the buffet. And it all provides a nice buffer against the drought which is sure to strike again.

For now, my dog lies dreaming on my office floor, paws a-twitching in some dream of a Great Squirrel Hunt. I am happy to look out my window and see all things green and vibrant, not the crushing, somber brown of two years ago. Groundhog children play in the yard while their turkey neighbour eyes them warily. "Keep those noisy whippersnappers to yourself!" he tells their parent. Five-lined skinks skirt blooming blue hydrangea bushes in search of unwary insects. I hope everyone takes a good long drink of all this water-driven goodness before tomorrow when the thermometer hovers at 100 F. If life is kind, at that point I will be hiding inside this nice cool building typing out your Friday Fun Fact for you!

Till then, wander in wonder...
|
Share on: Facebook, Twitter
This entry was posted on Thursday, June 18, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On June 18, 2009 at 3:24 PM , lifeshighway said...

I feel refreshed.