I'm Not Cool With That. Period.
Friday, June 19, 2009 | Author: eventer79
Friday Fun Fact!

Humans, primates, bats, and shrews are the only animals who have a true menstrual cycle.

Whee, lucky us. I'm sorry, did I not sound overly enthusiastic? Did it seem as if I'd rather be related to say, bears or giraffes or zebras or pretty much any mammal that DIDN'T have a period?

Ooo, can you imagine if we had descended from giraffes? (artwork courtesy of a very talented Saudi artist named Ashley Alexander) Wow, we might all be 11 feet tall! And we could live on leaves! What a lovely dent that would make in my grocery bill....

If you are still back there wondering what happens to all the other uterine linings in all those lucky little bastards of animals who don't have periods, the linings are reabsorbed by the body, a rather neat little trick that I am now going to work the rest of my life trying to master.
This entry was posted on Friday, June 19, 2009 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

On June 19, 2009 at 12:37 PM , lifeshighway said...

I feel so cheated. It is bad enough we don't have any super powers like freaky good sight, hearing or smelling and we also stink to high heaven without the aid of something stronger than soap. But this too.... I suspected but the realization the field is so small it only includes bats and shrews.... nature is cruel.

 
On June 19, 2009 at 2:07 PM , Belgian-Mom said...

You do live on leaves...well practically.

That robotic hysterectomy is looking better every minute.

 
On June 19, 2009 at 3:42 PM , eventer79 said...

I guess if microwaveable chimichangas count as leaves?