Totally Wild
Friday, July 31, 2009 | Author: eventer79
Friday Fun Fact!

Perhaps better called "Fun Fish" today -- the ocean's depths continue to produce animals both bizarre and fascinating. I am hard pressed to say anything about this one: the barreleye (Macropinna microstoma). I am too busy staring at the picture and video with my mouth open.

Those things that look like eyes? Those are nostrils; the eyes are those green globby bits under the dome on its head. You can read more about it here. While you do, I will continue sitting here staring it trying to force myself to believe that it is not just some artist's rendering of a crazy cartoon alien being.

Surely our imaginations will never surpass nor encompass the wonder and variety that is the natural world.
This entry was posted on Friday, July 31, 2009 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On July 31, 2009 at 2:25 PM , Once Upon an Equine said...

At first glance I thought "Oh, what a pretty little face that fishy has." That is really odd.

 
On July 31, 2009 at 2:59 PM , lifeshighway said...

omg is that real. I keep looking at the video and wondering if it's real. I can't quite get my head around this. I may have to lie down.